Monday, February 20, 2006

Week 17

I began the 17th week of pregnancy this past Friday. Unfortunately, that is also the same day I developed a nasty stomach virus. It had me down all weekend. I never thought I would say this but I am sick of my couch. I just spent more time than I would have liked on it this weekend. I am feeling better today, though. I'm actually able to eat some real food and my insides seem to be handling it okay so far. I'm sure the baby is pleased, too. Not sure it was up for anymore chicken soup or Jell-O.

I was going to take a new belly picture to mark this new week but wasn't feeling up to it. We'll probably try to get one done this weekend. This Friday will be the start of Week 18 which is also the start of the 5th month. My, how time flies! Here's an update on the baby's progress so far:

Age of Fetus—15 weeks

The baby is growing quite rapidly this week. A full supply of blood is traveling through the umbilical cord, causing tension (like a water-filled hose). This, combined with the baby's movements, keeps the cord from knotting. Your baby has its own circulation of blood and a heart that is beating strongly. The baby's heart is circulating about 25 quarts of blood a day.
Other changes that are happening:
• The baby's bones are hardening. If you were to take an x-ray, the skeleton would be visible.
• By this week, your baby may suck its thumb.
• You might detect the earliest movements of your baby now. It may feel like a butterfly flittering around inside your stomach, but most women don't detect this movement for another 3 weeks or more.

Baby's Size (head to rump) this week: About 4.5 to 4.75 inches

Weight: Approximately 3.5 ounces

Right now your baby is about the size of a stick of butter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. :)

Have you felt any more movement since the one you posted about?

I love the "stick of butter" comparison. ;)