Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Welcome to the world, Mia!


Born July 28, 2006 at 8:43am weighing 7 pounds 13 ounces and measuring 19 1/4 inches long.

Well, after 9 months of a great pregnancy and quite the unexpected labor and delivery, Miss Mia is finally here with us and we could not be happier. She is truly a little joy and we love her more than anything in the world. I really don't think either one of us expected to feel SO much love. I could sort of imagine what it was going to be like because I loved her for 9 months before she was even born. It's just so hard to describe.



Clay and I are still surprised that she was born on her due date. I think that only happens in about 5% of births. My water broke Friday morning at 12:45 after I had been having mild, but steady, contractions for an hour or so. I wasn't even completely sure it was my water when it happened. The contractions started to get a tad stronger and we started timing them for about an hour and then called the doctor. As I was on the phone with him, I could feel more "water" gushing out and had no doubts then what it was. We packed up everything we needed and headed to the hospital.



We arrived about 3:00am and got settled into a delivery room. We got hooked up to a fetal heartbeat monitor and another monitor for the contractions, neither of which I could really get to stay in place after a while. The contractions were uncomfortable but I managed to breath through them okay. Then the doctor didn't feel like I was making any progress with dilation so they started a little pitocin. I didn't want it and I found out it was for a good reason. That stuff is truly the devil. It made the contractions come on faster and harder and more frequent. I got to the point that I couldn't breath through them even with 3 people reminding me to breath. It was rough.



The doctor was going to insert an internal monitor to monitor the contractions but he discovered that what he was feeling on the baby wasn't "hard" like a head should be but "soft" like a butt would be. They pulled in a ultrasound machine. I learned later that they actually had 2 machines in there before they found one that worked properly. I was in that much pain that I didn't even notice. They discovered our little sweet pea was breach. I think we were both a little shocked by that at first. We also feel like my contractions would have been more manageable and the dilation would have occurred properly had she not been breach. It just would have been nice had they done the ultrasound before giving me the pitocin. It seems like I went through a lot of unnecessary pain.



After discussing the options, it seemed that a C-section was the best way to go for me and Mia. It all happened so fast that I didn't even have a chance to really be scared about it. Clay called our parents to let them know and to get into scrubs while they wheeled me off to the OR for preparation. Yes, I was still going through those God-awful contractions while being wheeled down the hall and prepped. I received a spinal block and it was almost instant and the difference was just amazing. Clay came in and they began.



We couldn't really see what was going on but Clay could tell my body was being pulled and tugged at in all sorts of directions. I couldn't even tell they'd made an incision yet and they'd already begun. Minutes later, we could hear Dr. E say, "Happy Birthday, Mia!" Clay stood up to take a look at her and Dr. E held her up over the curtain so I could get a quick glimpse. It was quick, too. With her first cry, I was crying. It was the most beautiful sound in the world and I instantly thought was a sweet little cry it was.



Clay went over to the side of the room while they cleaned her up and I just laid there crying at her sounds and could not wait to see her. After what seemed like forever, Clay brought her over and I got the very first kiss that I had been waiting for months to get. She was so sweet and I think she instantly recognized my voice. It was quite an emotional and happy experience. I still look at her or a picture from that day and the water works are instantly on. She's completely perfect and we love her so much.



After getting all stitched up, I was wheeled to recovery while she was taken to the nursery with Clay to get a more thorough check up. I tried to rest but all I could think about was seeing her again and holding her. Clay came in with her and a lactation nurse and we tried nursing. She latched right on and has been such a good little eater ever since.



We were discharged on Monday and we've been adjusting pretty well to being home. I think Mia likes it here pretty well. She spends a lot of time just eating and sleeping right now but we are enjoying every minute of her. We are getting ready to take her to her doctor's check up today so I must go and get back to my daughter. Wow, it sounds so cool to say that, "my daughter".

Update on the pediatrician appointment: Her weight is already up to 8 pounds 1 ounce and she is doing great! :)

4 comments:

Cass said...

Congrats !!

Anonymous said...

She is soooo beautiful. How is doing at home? Does she like her beautiful room? Daddy, is she still crying when you hold her? I'll bet not. As much as you two love her, she will love you just the same.
Sandee

Anonymous said...

So precious!! We want to come over Wednesday if you are up to it so can bring you some dinner! Let me know. She is too sweet!

Anonymous said...

She's adorable! We can't wait to meet little Miss Mia.

Pace