Friday, January 20, 2006

Week 13

As I mentioned yesterday, today marks week 13 in the pregnancy which means the fetus is 11 weeks. This is its development and progress thus far:

The growth of your baby is rapid and the head to rump length will double in the next 3 weeks. The baby's vocal cords are developing in the larynx but the baby will not make sounds until birth. This week all of the baby's twenty baby teeth have formed in the gums!

Other changes that are happening:

-Your baby's external genitalia are starting to show distinguishing characteristics.
-The baby's intestines are moving from the umbilical cord to the abdomen.
-The baby's pancreas is now producing insulin.
-Baby's Size and Weight this week: About 2 1/2 to 3 inches.

Right now your baby is about the size of a nectarine.

The entire creation of a baby is just amazing and quite difficult to comprehend sometimes. In my opinion, almost mind blowing.

I didn't sleep so great last night. Actually, I was doing great until about 4ish and I had to get up to pee. That's not unusual because it happens several times during the night. I just lay back down and go to sleep. That has taken some adjustment on my part because I have always been one to sleep through the night.

Well, last night I was unable to go back to sleep. I laid there and my mind just started wandering and the next thing I know my stomach is growling. I couldn't believe I was hungry. Well, I could actually, but in my mind I should have been going back to sleep. So I got up and had a toasted English muffin with peanut butter and a glass of milk. That is one of my favorite snacks lately.

Afterwards, I laid back down and was back to dreamland in no time. Which brings me to my strange dream. Strange dreams are pretty frequent for me lately. Shortly after finding out I was pregnant I used to dream that I met my baby in my dreams. After telling C this he would say to me before going to sleep, "tell our kid I say 'hey'." :) Then those dreams stopped and I would dream about sex all the time. Which was strange because sex, lately, has not been at the top of my list. The sex dreams stopped and now they are just plain strange.

Last night's dream consisted of me in Africa, except Africa was way smaller. So small I could stand in the middle of it and see either sides of the coast. I should have written this down because I have forgotten a lot of it already but I do know that there were some famous people like the guy that played in that 80s movie, White Knights, with Mikhail Baryshnikov. I cannot for the life of me remember his name at the moment. The ocean waves came into land so far that it seemed like the water would completely cover this entire country. It was just weird. I wonder why I even bothered writing about this. :)

No comments: