Saturday, January 14, 2006

I'll just have water.

Last night we went to a restaurant that has the best shrimp and grits EVER. Naturally, that's what I chose for my entree. We had a bit of a wait seeing as how it was Friday night and all. So, we sat at the bar. Normally, that would consist of a glass of wine for me and conversation with C while waiting for our table. Instead it was a Beam and Coke for him and a glass of water for me. When we were on the cruise last month I had several virgin drinks of pina coladas or strawberry dacquiris. Which was fine because those drinks are so yummy with or without alcohol. Actually, they taste better without the alcohol. Damn, did I really just say that?

While sitting at the bar last night, waiting for the table, and watching some stupid golf on the television above the bar I just grew increasingly irritated. I think I was just pissy because a) I was hungry and b) I really miss wine. I miss the taste and the warm fuzzy feeling it gives going down. I've done plenty of reading that says that since they really don't know what amount of alcohol affects the fetus, it's best to abstain from it all. Then I read other things and even hear one of my other pregnant friends say it's okay to have a glass every now and then. I thought about it last night. I tried to reason that I would just have one glass, maybe even just a half, and I would be drinking it with a heavy meal. I decided against it.

I am in week 12 of my pregnancy, which makes the fetus 10 weeks old. I started thinking about how tiny it still is. How the brain and all its little insides are still developing and growing. I just couldn't bring myself to order that glass of wine. I started thinking about something happening to the baby just because I couldn't wait a little longer for a glass of wine. So no wine for me for a little while. Maybe after I'm out of the first trimester and closer to the end. Maybe a sip here or there, but otherwise, I'll just wait. It'll be worth it.

We had a very nice dinner. A tasty appetizer of fried ravioli, my delicious shrimp and grits and even dessert. Afterwards, we were both so ready for home and bed. Bedtime comes early these days. We managed to make it to the bar for E's birthday celebration. I don't even think we stayed an entire hour. And, yes, I had water there, too. :)

P.S. Figured out how to post pics. Here's the ultrasound from yesterday. Ain't it cute?

No comments: