Tuesday, October 03, 2006

2 Month Check-up

Mia had her 2-month check-up yesterday with her pediatrician. She is up to 13 pounds 6 ounces and is 24 inches long! The doctor joked that she would some day have trouble finding pants in a long enough length. She's almost off the percentile chart but Dr. W said not to pay much attention to them because her height and weight were proportionate to each other and that's what counts.

After all the good news came the bad and the ugly - SHOTS! My poor baby. I can see why Dr. W doesn't give those things and makes the nurses do it. Dr. W just loves Mia and her little rolls and loves to hug on her when she's in there. I can see where it would be difficult loving on a little angel like Mia and then turning around and sticking her FOUR TIMES! That's right. They stuck our precious baby FOUR TIMES, two in each juicy thigh! Mia didn't seem to realize what was going on until the nurse stuck her the second time. After that, it was just blood curtling screams. They really need to come up with a better way to vaccinate babies and children. There has GOT to be a better way!

She cried for a good 5 minutes afterwards. I was surprised she let Clay put her back in the carseat and even more surprised that she slept all the way home. I was fully expecting her to cry during the ride home. She woke up when I got her in the house. I unbuckled her and she stretched her legs out and I think they much have still been tender because she started crying again. I gave her infant Tylenol and nursed her. She calmed down and I thought maybe she wouldn't react to it the way I had been warned that she might. A few hours later is when she really started to feel the effects. She cried a good bit last night and we could just tell she did not feel well at all. I was prepared to sleep in the rocker with her on my chest all night, but I swaddled her up a little before 11:00 and she slept until 5:00 this morning. She still seemed a little achy so I gave her a little more Tylenol, nursed her and she went right back to sleep. When she woke up again around 8:30, she was more of herself and smiling a bit. She is napping again right now.

It completely broke my heart to see her in such pain and agony. It broke my heart all over again several hours later when she was feeling so badly and I couldn't take the pain away and make her feel better. I am not looking forward to the next check-up which is at 4 months because we have to do the shots ALL OVER AGAIN! I know they are probably for the best, but I can honestly see why some parents don't vaccinate.

No comments: