Friday, September 08, 2006

6 Weeks Old



One look at this picture and it's very obvious why Clay sometimes calls Mia "Cindy Jr." I took this picture this morning to mark her 6 week birthday. She is growing up so fast. I was holding her this morning and she became a little squirmy. I had just nursed her, burped her and changed her diaper so I knew she wasn't hungry, gassy or in need of a clean diaper. I put her down in her crib so she could "talk" to her buddies on the bumper pads and her Cocky mobile. She was quite content there for about 40 minutes. I realized as I was making myself a cup of coffee that one day I am going to miss holding her tiny body and gazing into her beautiful eyes. One day she will be way too independent to allow me to just hold her. I will miss that.

I took her to the doctor on Wednesday regarding the drainage in her eyes. Turns out her tear ducts are indeed blocked but they are not infected. The doctor just instructed me to continue to massage the inside corners of her eyes and they should clear up on their own. I was happy to hear that eye drops were not necessary. I was dreading the possibility of having to administer those every day. He also looked at the mark on her arm. She has a birthmark called a hemangiomas which is also known as a strawberry mark. It was not present at birth but appeared a couple of weeks afterwards. He said it would probably get a little bigger over the next 4 to 6 months and could even become raised but would then begin to fade and will eventually disappear altogether. Again, something that will clear up on its own and nothing for us to worry about. Mia is now up to 11 pounds and 8 ounces! We were pretty sure she was in the 10 pound range but I don't think either one of us expected her to be 11 1/2 pounds!



I think I am finally getting more at ease with being a mother. I took Mia to the doctor all by myself and we both did just fine. We took her out with us last night to get Mexican and I didn't get stressed one single time. During out walk this morning she started to cry halfway home and was not comforted by my voice alone. I picked her up and carried her the rest of the way while pushing the stroller. I was completely calm. It was the first time she cried during one of our walks. Usually, she is either sleeping or looking around. I think her crying always stressed me out because I was always so afraid I would not be able to make her feel better. I think that is a big fear of mine, not being able to make it all better for her. I don't like the thought of my baby being upset. It hurts my heart.

We have also discovered over the past week that she is much happier with the car rides when we swaddle her and then strap her in the car seat. She seems to be just as content as can be. We wondered if we were breaking any laws by doing so but we figured she's just as snug and secure as she would be without the blanket so that's what we're doing! The car rides have been much more peaceful. I lost another pound this week for a grand total of 33 so far. I am definitely satisfied with a one to two pound loss every week. I think that's a nice steady loss. As long as it's coming off...that's all I care about!

I will leave you with a picture that Clay took last week while some friends were over for dinner and Gamecock football with their 3-month old son, Jake. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

The Preister's said...

cute pictures! Are you a scrap-booker, if you are I bet your pages are great!

I go back to work after next week, very sad...but a day I knew would come. Check with me in three weeks, and see how I am holding up...you will just be going back to work :( Why is life so backwards...we have to work when they are little so we can retire when they are grown...doesn't seem right does it?!

Have a good weekend!

PS - Happy 7 week birthday to Mia and Charli!!!