Friday, April 07, 2006

Week 24

Another week gone by. This is also the first week of the 6th month. We had a doctor's appointment this morning. My belly is measuring exactly 24 weeks and the doctor called her "smart" - as if we didn't already know that! My weight was about the same as last month. There may have been a 1/2 pound difference, but not a significant jump or drop which is good. Mia's heart rate was between 135 and 140. The doc found it right away and it was loud and fast. She's growing and getting bigger and closer to the surface now so I guess that makes it easier to find. She should be weighing just over a pound now and is about a foot long. Also, according to babycenter.com, her skin is thin, translucent, and wrinkled, her brain is growing rapidly, and her taste buds are developing. Her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" and cells that produce surfactant, a substance that helps the air sacs inflate easily.

I also had the glucose screening test. I had to drink some orange liquid they gave me which tasted rather good. Then they drew some blood an hour later. I should get the result from that on Monday. It is to check for gestational diabetes. I have a feeling the test will come back normal.

We were disappointed to learn that they are not planning anymore ultrasounds. We were really hoping to at least get to see her once more before she's born. They don't usually plan another ultrasound after the 18 week one unless there is a problem, which we definitely don't want. I can so see why bozo Tom Cruise bought Katie Holmes her own ultrasound machine. If I had one, I'd be looking at her everyday! We're thinking about doing the 4D ultrasound. I'm going to look into whether or not there is a place in town that does 4D ultrasounds and see how much they are. I've heard a lot of talk about them and people getting them done. You're supposed to be able to see more features of the face and can get a better idea of what the baby looks like. I always thought they were a waste of money and wanted to wait to see her when she's born, but I dunno. We've been working so hard trying to save much and work things out so I can maybe just work part time and spend more time at home with Mia. I'd love to be able to not work at all but right now that just doesn't seem possible so I'll take what I can get!

No comments: